Popcorn to combat pollution in aquatic environment?!



The Portuguese coast is more than 1000 kilometers long. I love to go to the beach. I like everything about it. Also, I prefer to eat fish to meet and can't resist seafood! Sea animals are fantastic and one of my best childhood memories is of going to the beach and looking for small fish, octopuses, and crabs, in nested pools on the rocks. I think that's very important to test how to deal with accidents that cause coastal pollution. Mock combat pollution in the aquatic environment took place on May 4th, in Figueira da Foz, the city where I live now, involving various resources from the Navy and local authorities, and volunteers.

The scenario: by night the merchant ship "Mondego" crashed in the port of Figueira da Foz and for the next four hours, 500 cubic meters of fuel was dispersed by the sea and reached the river and adjacent beaches. Then the operation followed with actions on land and at sea aimed at containment and removal of hydrocarbons – this was simulated using hundreds of pounds of popcorn! I had never heard of this possibility, I find it curious. Popcorn is not a pollutant. The oil used to cook is not a pollutant. The popcorn that was not caught by the team is eaten by fish and seagulls! These exercises are important for the future prevention of coastal environments. I'm glad they're doing it!

News source here

Comments