Innovative Portuguese Tiles by Add Fuel

!
Instagram - Click to watch more of his work





Built in the 1960s, the Torre neighborhood was originally designed as a suburb to relocate fishermen and their families that inhabited the center of the village.
Today it has more than 30 buildings, but many of its original inhabitants and families still reside in there. Usually the wives of fishermen, the “varinas” sold fresh fish brought home by their husbands. With my work around the ceramic “azulejo” tiles I try to bring tradition and Portuguese culture to the present, preserve it, re-think it, but varinas are, unfortunately, a dying tradition, a dying profession.
Shortly after I started this mural, I was told that on this exact same wall, forty-something years ago there was a varina called Helena that sold fish right there, in front of this wall. Happy coincidences.


Add  Fuel


In 2013 Add Fuel (Diogo Machado) created this mural in Figueira da Foz. The city where I live.
So cool! I really like his modern approach to Portuguese Tile Tradition.

Comments