Portuguese salami chocolate easy recipe

 



Hello good people!

 I'm not much into sweets, I just eat dark chocolate all the time. Usually, I finish my meals with black coffee without sugar and a piece of chocolate. Lately, instead of chocolate, I've been eating candied or crystallized ginger. I've become so addicted to it that I almost forgot chocolate! But today I missed Salame de Chocolate. This salami is not the traditional cured sausage consisting of fermented and air-dried meat, typically pork. It's made with cookies and chocolate. Do you want to know how to make Salami Chocolate?

These are the ingredients for Salame de Chocolate or Chocolate Salami. Salame is a very popular treat in Portugal, any youngster knows how to do it. It combines the sweetness of old and traditional Portuguese Maria cookies and cocoa to make an unbelievably tasty treat. Some recipes may include almonds and walnuts, or Porto wine or coffee but this one I am making is the first one I learned, it's very easy and inexpensive.

The ingredients are:
1 egg
1 Maria cookies package (200 gr = 7 ounces)
100 gr of sugar (100 gr=3,5 ounces)
100 gr of butter
100 gr of cocoa powder
Aluminum foil
Plastic wrap



The first thing to do is to turn the Maria cookies into powder in a mixer. Leave 10 cookies on the side- these you will crush in tiny pieces. Then stir it all together well.
The butter must melt. The heat can't be too high. I don't like it to boil much. The egg is already well mixed in the blue bowl, waiting.

I don't have photos of the next steps because the dog demanded my attention and I don't have four hands!! Luna's always very interested in what I am cooking - maybe she wants to be the cooker assistant! I had to save some leftovers from lunch in a hurry! She's really fast and has a monster appetite!


 So, here's what you must do:

- when the butter has melted on the pan you put in the sugar and mix well so the sugar can dissolve 
- when it starts to boil remove it from the fire
- outside the fire put the cocoa powder in the pan and mix well
- then put the egg in but be careful - the mix can't be too hot. Let it rest outside the fire for a moment. Then you can put the egg. Move your spoon fast so the egg does not boil!

 - Turn this mixture in the bowl where you have the Maria cookies
- Mix it together! You will have to use some strength!
Now place the chocolate mixture onto the aluminum paper and form it into a cylinder shape or a log the best you can. (I know what you're thinking, that stuff does not look good!)

Now you start to shape the log. Then you close the aluminum foil. You just do the best you can!


Here it is! Twist the ends to seal. Then roll up the log in the table very carefully.


Wrap in plastic. Roll back and forth on the table a few times more to make the log evenly round - it takes the form of salami. Cut the extremities! Place in the freezer for at least 3 hours.


Remove from the freezer and move it to the refrigerator. At this time the salami is too hard to cut. You must wait. You can unwrap the chocolate salami from the plastic and you can leave it in the refrigerator. When you want to serve it you slice it! I cut both extremities to show you how it looks. Perfect!

OPTIONAL! Unwrap from the aluminum foil and spread confectioners' sugar on a dinner plate. Roll in the sugar until coated.

Comments